A Superfluity of Updates (Part 1)
Making some formatting adjustments - let me know if anything looks too wonky?
1. Adventures I've had recently:
- Fabulous production of Death of a Salesman on the north side. Preceded by dinner at a Persian restaurant, during which we got to watch the proprietor physically remove a vagrant from the premises.
- Office holiday party, which for the first time in my tenure was not concurrent with a blizzard.
- Book signing for The Happiness Project! This isn't the sort of thing I ordinarily do, but it was fun. Gretchen is lovely, and we have the same hair.
- Office Tower Landlord closed the bathrooms on our floor for two weeks for seemingly unnecessary, and unnecessarily long, renovation. An annoyance to everyone except our 39.5-week-pregnant admin, to whom it was more than an annoyance. But the opportunity to explore other floors has made everyone uneasy about the state of the local economy - if the vacancy rate in this building is less than 40%, I'll be very surprised.
- At the same time, our corporate overlords four states away decided to remove all our office machines and replace them with units identical in every way, except that they don't work. Much to the added inconvenience of above-referenced admin. And of anyone trying to fax us. We've had Xerox techs here for 60 of the last 80 standard business hours.
- Oh, and, as you may have figured out, our sole administrative support person is about to depart on maternity leave. Bets are on 3 weeks to full-out Lord of the Flies mode.
3. Assorted arthritic associates concur that the weather is unusually affecting this winter, despite being meteorologically unremarkable. (I'm tired and my hands hurt. Insert additional whining here. But it's getting better.)
4. At the moment:
- Most recent meal: Saag Gosht from the place around the corner. I like lamb. And spinach.
- Reading: The Magic Mountain for book group, among other things.
- Tonight: Doing laundry, because it's beyond critical; watching House, because it's a habit.
- Today's earworm:

Sorry to hear about your pain! And thank you for reminding me that I also need to stagger laundry-ward if I want to wear clothes tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, it sounds as if you've been enjoying a last few days of fun before the collapse of office civilization.
that Lord of the Flies comment had be laughing- but that really happened in a place I worked. It was ugly- and even though she left great instructions we never could find extra office supplies or phone numbers till she came back....
ReplyDelete@Lojo - we have a sub booked - retired admin from one of our other offices - but our confidence declines every time she comes in. Luckily (for us) we've been a little bit trained in self-sufficiency, since the poor woman has had 9 months of morning sickness.
ReplyDelete