Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Week 3 Tasks



  1. Style. Some inspiration.  These are based on actual recent outfits that approach the ideal.




    Tuesday
    Tuesday by Mella DP featuring JWLA tops














    I've also been through the Style Statement process SCB has talked about.  My working model is Composed Intuitive.  (Yes, mine has changed, too.  I started out with "Composed Intellective," but on later examination decided that had the wrong ring.  I realized that, though I never came right out and talked about it, the concept of intuition covered a larger number of my salient themes.  I sort of intuited my way to Intuitive.  It holds up within the system - your second word is allegedly one you're likely to under-fulfill by default, and the idea is that you'll be better off if you make sure to live up to it.  If I think back to decisions that have turned out to be an error in personal style, they can mostly be traced to overthinking.  This may be why some of my panic purchases work out oddly well - in fact, almost every panic purchase that's not a complete disaster turns out to be one of my favorite things, because being in a hurry makes me skip the step where I reason my way into error.)  I think it's compatible with an image from the first round of WT, that of the Brunching Intellectual.  Because whenever you have the opportunity to define your life in terms of omelets, you should take it.

    Key elements:


    • Mostly knits on top, as it's easier to fit without frump that way.
    • More tailored (but not to extremes) on bottom.
    • Skirts to the knee - never above.
    • I have a waist.  And all those other important parts.
    • Solids that play well together.  Prints appear in either in the occasional dress, or summer blouses to be worn alone.
    • Colors run dark, bold, clear, warm.  
    • Cuts are straightforward.
    • Interest through accessories.
    • I run a half-step to the formal side of the dress code on most occasions.


    Things I would live in:
    Me
    Me by Mella DP featuring Me Too shoes

    • Shirt dresses
    • Character shoe-inspired footwear
    • Fitted cardigans
    • Orderly skirts
    • Interesting necklaces
    • The right sort of scarf

    Things that are extraordinarily not me:



    • Capri pants
    • Fringe
    • Gratuitous jersey
    • Ruffles, and other poufy detailing
    • Dangly jewelery 
    • Pink (except for one very rare shade with orange undertones).

  2. Start securing your supply lines. Sigh.  Here's the issue I was trying to address by running myself ragged at the mall last weekend.  I confirmed that there is no magical storehouse for any of my key staples, nor is there any previously undiscovered vendor whose wares may as well have been custom-made for me.  It's actually helpful to know this, since it indicates that, however inefficient my shopping process might be, I'm not missing an easier alternative right under my nose.

    Less satisfying, I discovered that the standard price for a 100% cotton dress is $99.50.  This seems off.

    One thing I've noticed while shopping and Windows Shopping is that staples in my colors are on clearance - current offerings are all pastelly.  So I should really be shopping in the winter.

    Anyhow, sources.  Currently, successful known quantities include:


    • Eddie Bauer for the long-sleeved oxford shirt that fits like a glove.  Last time I was in, there were none in stock.
    • Brooks Brothers will always carry my cardigan silhouette if I absolutely can't find it anywhere else. (But it's currently out of season.)

    If I had to account for how I've actually filled my closet, it's mostly by the usual intermittent good luck at Kohl's and TJMaxx, etc. and thrift.  Kohl's is particularly consistent in yielding items I don't come to regret, but is limited in the sorts of things I can buy there.  Traditionally, if I'm looking to buy something specific, I'll start up a new systematic campaign through every possible store, logging around 20 field hours per item acquired, on average.  (But usually not all in a row.)

    The thrift scene needs updated surveillance, as there are only a couple that I feel like getting to in winter weather.  Also wondering if I could find a like-minded buddy.  Hm...

    I'd like to find consistent sources for:


    • Holy Grail knit shirts.  These would be short- and long-sleeved, office-grade T-shirts, and tank tops that skip the indecent exposure.
    • Trousers.
    • Shoes that like me.
    • Some line of jeans that I can count on to fit properly would be nice, but I usually manage to find something appropriate, and don't have to go looking all that often.
    • A lovely and a abundant selection of "Things I would Live In," above.  But I know that's asking too much.

  3. Glance at your undergarments. Glanced, as briefly as possible.  (Sorry.) 

  4. Fix Velveteen Rabbits that warrant repair.  Ha!  See the sidebar.

4 comments:

  1. When you use adjectives, they are so perfect: "orderly skirts."

    I may yet decide how to define my life in terms of omelets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly knits on top, as it's easier to fit without frump that way.

    This makes the world so much easier to live in. I don't know how people wear button-down shirts every day. I would die somewhere on the floor of a mall trying to find one that fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Shoes that like me"... oh how I wish shoes were more amenable to developing true friendships, instead of being eagerly friendly in the store, and becoming spiteful, rude and glorying in being hurtful as soon as they have been invited home.

    I love your looks -- Tuesday is especially a joy. And once again, YAY for intuiting the "Intuitive" part of your Style Statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the outfits. And in particular, I also love the skirt you posted under "Things I Could Live In." I've got that saved on Polyvore too. ;)

    ReplyDelete