What I did today (and yesterday).
Tastefully dressed young lady working accessories at Nordstrom: Can I help you with anything today?
Me: Yes. My office is across the street. Could you please convince me not to go there today?
Ok, actually, I didn't say that. But I did imagine the exchange, and, knowing Nordstrom's deserved reputation for excellent service, I went thrifting instead of to work.
After that, it was indeed off to the thrift shops. Most of them I hadn't been to in a long time, and I wasn't missing much, as far as clothing is concerned. There's one sizable Goodwill that seems to be the place where all the used clothing in the area (including mine) goes. My timing was a little off - I got there late enough in the day that I wasn't up for the crowd - but I did find a couple of things: an experimental floral skirt, and a geometric-patterned shirtdress that I would have modeled for you, but when I cut out the shoulder pads I realized it needed a minor alteration of one of the few sort I know I can do.
Elsewhere: a scarf, a decorative belt in nice colors (I'll be lazy and wait for accessory week) and, at my local antique shop, a heavy, 3"-long gold cross that I hope doesn't make me look like a male gang member.
Recently from Target:
- Several of a nice style of jersey skirt.
- A bunch of mesh bags - mine had all gone missing.
- Oil sponge - I can't keep shoes polished for anything.
- A lighter shade of nail polish. Something called "Iced Spice." I keep my toes done in the summer, and last year was using a dark red shade that I like, but thought that something a little closer to neutral would be lower-maintenance.
Not that color, of course; mine is "Stone". Tried it this morning, though I didn't do a very good job of it. Definitely tidier, and did indeed dry quickly.
I gave up polishing my fingernails a while ago. My fingers are short and my hands not particularly elegant of form on the whole, so anything but a very light, neutral shade is extremely unflattering. (Yes, nail polish can make you look fat. Who knew?) Also, I don't think my nails hold color very well. I've never had a manicure last even 12 hours without extensive damage, even when I'm not working or using my hands at all. So I clued in and quit.
Also completed:
- Washing the makeup brushes. (Cool water; shampoo; gentle massage; thorough rinse; blot dry; air dry on towel.)
- Cleaning (like, with cleaning chemicals) the inside of the medicine cabinet, which holds all the "every day" stuff.
- Sorting out the every day drawer, the space under the sink, and that shelf in the linen closet with all the spare products. I have a very fixed routine, and the supply flow procedure is as follows: when I start using the last one on hand, go buy two. Everything can be bought in the same place. Somehow, I managed to rid myself of an entire dishpan full of...I'm not sure what, but I have a lot more space under the sink now.
- Got sidetracked by the cabinet that contains the actual medicine, which had been attacked by something sticky. Discovered enough cold medicine to stock a preschool teacher for most of a year.
- Minor hair-related innovation; and
- Becoming perturbed by skin-care marketing in no fewer than three separate drug stores, and returned home to do some more research and wonder whether having a chemistry-based education is good for my sanity on days like this.


No comments:
Post a Comment