Wednesday, November 25, 2009

T-1

Turkey time approaches here in my Hobbit-hole.  Shopping is done, and the final menu looks like this:

  • Turkey, with rosemary treatment.
  • Stuffing and cranberry a la Mom.
  • Large pan of roasted root veggies (plus mushrooms and sprouts).
  • Corn.
  • Creamed spinach.
  • Yeast rolls.
  • Pie.
The snag: for whatever reason (probably weather), this month has been rather arthritic.  Fall is usually a bit like that, but some acquaintances with similar conditions, like RA, agree that this year is worse than usual, despite not being very cold yet.  I'm tired and kind of hurt all over at the moment, but the hands are the worst (that's normal for me).  So, I'm thinking about tomorrow's prep work:
  • Turkey: intimate and extensive handling of a heavy, cold thing.  Not so good.
  • Veggies: Chopping lots of hard things into small pieces.  Ditto.
  • Rolls: kneading.  Could be worse, but probably pushing it.
  • Corn: can-opening.  This I can probably handle. 
Etc. So it's good there's only immediate family coming, people who won't be put out when I ask them to make up the guest bed themselves. I may be relegated to an administrative role in the kitchen. Today I'm applying a warm cat to my hands, and a warm laptop to my knees.  So far, so good. 

While things are all holiday prettified, I'll be sure to catch some photos of the refined decor.  The bedroom (which I don't think you've seen at all) isn't quite done, but it's much improved.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. :)

2 comments:

  1. An administrative role in the kitchen sounds good. Lexie can show you how supervision is done?

    And how is the Fangless Wonder doing?

    (Hope the pain diminishes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. The creamed spinach sounds like a good idea. So does the administrative role. Hope you're feeling a bit better soon.

    ReplyDelete