Monday, May 12, 2008

Introducing Happiness

One blog that has consistently held my interest long after others lost their luster is The Happiness Project, by lawyer-turned-writer, New Yorker, and mom of tiny girls Gretchen Rubin. The Project of the title refers to Gretchen's ongoing exploration of questions like: What is happiness? What universal principles support happiness? What makes me happy?

Gretchen writes simply about things that are essentially connected to real life, and that's the main thing that keeps me hooked - almost every post reminds me of something I've observed first-hand, and I see things every day that demonstrate principles the blog has discussed. That makes sense, because, although she's studied ideas about happiness from a huge range of sources, Gretchen always connects these to her own real experiences, and she's straightforward about her own strengths, weaknesses, passions and struggles. I especially love her Secrets of Adulthood, which inspired me to start my own list.

I find myself making a lot of connections between discussions we have here among the AT/WT crowd and topics at The Happiness Project, which is why I'm making the introduction. I've pulled up a few posts that have stuck in my mind as especially relevant to stuff we've talked about. Enjoy.


3 comments:

  1. that is a great web site! I have only looked through one entry so far ( I am an overbuyer) but it looks interesting- thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this - it is a great website. (And I'm an underbuyer. My husband is an overbuyer. Result = lots of useless gadgets and no shampoo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds excellent and I haven't even clicked on the links yet! I foresee an interesting coffee break this morning.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete