Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bits and Photos

I confessed on the Chicago Cure Thread that I haven't been up to much this week. But it's not over yet, so I hold out hope. Stay tuned.In the meantime, a few bits:

1. There's been talk about hoarding at Alana's and Wende's, as well as a few places in the news (none of which I can find right now, naturally). For the record, here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about it. I found it interesting all around, but this paragraph under "Risk Factors" caught my attention.

  • Perfectionism. People with compulsive hoarding are often perfectionists. They worry about making the right decision about what to do with each possession — should they keep it or discard it? Trying to decide causes distress, so they avoid making a decision and simply keep everything.
2. Speaking of other people's blogs, I've been lazy about commenting both here and on flickr, but great job so far to everyone I've been following. Ditto for Wardrobe Therapy, for those playing.

I've got everyone I know of blogging the Cure over on the left - is there anybody else fabulous I should be watching?

3. Look! Photos!
The kitchen. At least the interesting part.


I rearranged the living room again. Best so far. What do you see for a coffee table? Shape, material, style?


Another shot. Hm, everything looks very close to the walls, doesn't it?


Finally got that cover on the couch! Should have done that ages ago.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the arrangement working! You've a tough space.

    I just left you a comment on flickr. However, I'll say it again, here.
    We need more of a style tray. More of "what would Mella do if budget and time were not constraining factors?"

    It's very clear from what you have--and looking at your notional library--that you love curves. But curves love squares...and vice versa, so I'd suggest something square for the coffee table.

    As for materials, well, that's where we need a style tray!

    I'm glad curtains are coming--they'll help warm the place up! It looks so cold, somehow: not what I think of you at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: a quick way to find interior shots of real people is to use flickr. Just save to "favourites" at flickr and then you don't have to mess around with posting and all that. Just search for "living room" or "library" or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mella--I haven't offended you, I hope, by saying the living room looks cold, have I? If so, I'm truly sorry. I am often quite tactless, and I may have been so this time.

    Your dining room is an interesting example, to me, of order plus the unexpected: the pops of colour and your arrangement of the whole area is interesting in looking at what is there and what is not. It's well done and the prints themselves are quirky. I guess I was just surprised your living room isn't yet the same: but I quess it wouldn't be, or you wouldn't be curing! So, please, accept my apology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, no, you haven't offended me. I quite agree. Though, honestly, I think it looks better in real life than on screen - it's a hard space to arrange, but also to photograph. Controlling the light from that south-facing window is a challenge. Part of the "cold" comes from the fact that I took everything off the walls when I rearranged the furniture and haven't put it back, and rental-white with nothing hanging on it can't help but be cold. But, they're supposed to be "before," right? (Rearranging is also why there are cords everywhere, which will also be cured.)

    I was about to disagree with your notion that I like curves, but I realized that you're actually right, with the condition that I like them primarily in settings with strong contrast. So yes, something angular is right. I haven't put together a real style tray for this because, unless something falls in my lap almost literally, it's not on the list for this Cure. I really asked almost as an afterthought, to see if anybody had an idea dramatically different from any I already have. I'll see if maybe I can put some things together...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am relieved.
    Do post more pics when you have your artwork back up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I could thank you for leaving comments to get my mind turning on it first thing in the morning (that's my good time). I've come up with several potentially very good ideas for the space already today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete