Week 2: The Truth - NPR Junkie Edition
The Truth this week is that I did basically nothing, Cure-wise, until last night. Well, actually, I did a good amount of shopping - all necessary, but still stuff that should have been lower down the priority list at this particular point in time.
It finally occurred to me on Thursday that my resistance to working in the kitchen might have something to do with the pile of laundry in the bedroom. Then last night I found myself at home, the Easter Bunny having brought this:
a fairly major storm, which sent me home from work early and canceled dinner and church plans. So, I dealt with the laundry (it took an entire episode of Radio Lab), and, what do you know, breakthrough. (Incidentally, I seem to have acquired the only cat on earth with no interest in shedding all over piles of clean laundry. Small blessings; slightly makes up for the fact of having a brown sofa with a knap.)
a fairly major storm, which sent me home from work early and canceled dinner and church plans. So, I dealt with the laundry (it took an entire episode of Radio Lab), and, what do you know, breakthrough. (Incidentally, I seem to have acquired the only cat on earth with no interest in shedding all over piles of clean laundry. Small blessings; slightly makes up for the fact of having a brown sofa with a knap.)
The kitchen was in decent shape, but it did warrant some Curing, so I decided to give it the full duration of Car Talk this morning. I was on a roll at 10:00, so it got Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, as well, and then half of Sound Opinions. Today, it's pleasant and sunny.
So, this week's (eventually) Done, in chronological order:
- Bought: vacuum cleaner filters, bin for cat food, kitchen curtains, dish cloths, bathroom hand towels.
- Above mentioned bedroom (and head) straightening.
- Finally posted some before photos!
- Cleaned fridge, microwave, toaster oven, stove top, counters, dish drainer. Not as much work as it sounds.
- Cleaned crumbs out of silverware drawer (fortunately, found no pancakes).
- Minorly reconfigured a couple of oddball cabinets; found places for coffee maker, blender, and spare paper towels.
Budget Remaining: 46% (several largish items this week)
- Invigorating exchanges of comments with Alana over my rather sad living room shots, which gave me far too many (possibly) great ideas. Must stay focused, must not let living room take over *again*.
- Re-reading some of the Professor Dr. von Igelfeld stories that I recently scored on PaperbackSwap. Probably the most concise specimen of McCall Smith's absurdist talent.
- Receiving a stern admonition from a colleague in our Buffalo office not to send the blizzard their way.
Finally: to everyone with something to celebrate this weekend, a very happy Easter.

Well done, Mella! (Yay for motivational NPR listening!)
ReplyDeleteLexi says, "Pet me, for I am the most beautiful cat in the land." (Love the curled tail-tip!)
Boo for the snow. So much of our snow is gone, but I'm telling myself not to get my hopes up...
the sofa looks great!
ReplyDelete(Speaking of NPR: Jenna was very jealous when she found out that our NPR station actually plays This American Life, albeit on sunday nights. She lives in the true middle of nowhere and therefore must resort to podcasts, boohoo)