Stream of Kitchen Consciousness
The kitchen in (unstructured) review:
- When the dishwasher is full of clean dishes, you can't put dirty dishes into it. Unfortunately, this means the clean dishes have to be put away.
- My mother is one of those people who can cook a six-course meal and only dirty one spoon, and not get a drip of anything anywhere. I'm not. I'm 95% sure that I've accepted this.
- Hey, I've been looking for that!
- Floors. I really think I missed something about how to clean vinyl. I should go look that up.
- I need new dish cloths and towels and potholders.
- If you open it, close it; if you spill it, clean it up - do it now, and all that good stuff. Since I don't immediately see any elements of design or practice that need improving, it must come down to that.
- Curtains would be good...ok, Spring Cure.
- There's a perplexing quantity of crumbs in my silverware tray.
- Sam is looking at me.
- The recyclables are about to overtake the pantry. Or maybe they already did. I really need a better system for getting stuff out to the dumpsters. A chute like Wende's would be beyond awesome. Alas.
- Granola is not a decorative element.
- I love my kitchen. It's such an improvement over my last one. It has drawers.* It's bright.** The floor can be cleaned.*** It has white walls.**** It has a window and a gas range and room for more than one person to stand. I love my kitchen. I should be nice to it.
*In the last one, I had to stand my silverware in mugs.
**In the last one I actually mounted mirrors on the ceiling out of desperation.***In the last one, the vinyl was torn and stained beyond reclamation.
****The last one had brown rustic print wallpaper, c. 1977. I've never met wallpaper I liked, but I reserve special animosity for wallpaper that's older than I am.

I would think that wherever you are in your kitchen, one Sam or another would be looking at you... (and how delightful I would find that!)
ReplyDeleteI like this. This is good.
I've always wondered how crumbs get into the silverware trays. Because they do. Even when there's no crumbs anywhere else. (Wait a minute, have I experienced "no crumbs anywhere else"??)
My recycling was taking over the kitchen counters. I think I've found a place to keep the recycling out of sight -- it's a smallish space, though, which theoretically *should* mean that I keep to my avowed intent to take the recycling down every Tuesday.
Trash chutes are great, but only for trash. You still have to shlep the recycling to wherever it goes.
that is not a truth; Mom is messier in the kitchen than I am.
ReplyDeleteshe just cleans up nicely
Really? I hope that doesn't mean her eyesight is going, because it certainly used to be true.
ReplyDeleteOr maybe you're cooking too much and she's out of practice.
The secret to cleaning vinyl is to use diluted liquid laundry detergent and a lot of pressure.
ReplyDeleteIn SF, the only way I ever got the kitchen vinyl clean-clean was to pour diluted laundry detergent on the floor, then put an old towel on the floor, stand on it, and kind of slide around until the floor was dry. (The detergent doesn't need to be rinsed off, which is why it's a secret.) This was the five-minute plan to sparkling floors.
Oh, and there are always crumbs in the silverware tray. Unless you have a bug problem, you dump 'em out and rinse the trays at Spring and Fall Cure time.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, the crumbs aren't hurting anything and will be back five minutes later, regardless, so it's a waste of time to fuss over them.