Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Leaf Day

Since I'm having a Canada-themed summer, I feel like I should be celebrating Dominion-hood, but, like most Americans, I can't manage to understand Canada as remotely well enough to do that. 

(Aside: Driving around the Maritimes during my vacation, I listened to much of the CBC's copious coverage of the World Cup group rounds.  There was lots of hand-wringing over the fact that, since the national team didn't qualify, Canadians were all rooting for other countries, and what could that possibly mean for the Great Question of National Identity?  To which I can only say, to whomever it may concern, "Calm down already.  You're just fine the way you are.")

Anyhow, I bought a package of maple-leaved balloons one night at Zeller's (I was there every other day - my camera eats batteries like candy), which I split up for various secretaries to spring on my Canadian boss and pastor this morning.  It does occur to me as somewhat ironic that July 1 probably represents the nadir for the appearance of naturally-occurring red foliage in the northern hemisphere.

Incidentally, according to my company's widely-distributed "Diversity Calendar," today is also the national holiday of Somalia, Rwanda, and Suriname.  Geography being what it is, I will use today to be thankful that Canada is extremely dull by comparison.

I'll post more trip details over the next few days and our own upcoming holiday weekend.

1 comment:

  1. And a very happy Day after Leaf Day to you!

    Just about anything can be turned into a "National Identity Crisis" if one tries hard enough. I don't bother. Likely most ordinary Canadians don't bother, either.

    The sort of maple leaves that turn red don't even occur in my part of the country!

    ReplyDelete