Week 5 - Shoes, Etc.
Oh, Week 5. This one will have to be stream-of-consciousness.
Shoes.
- Shoes are difficult for me. I'm a genuinely difficult fit (though not on paper - when I find a shoe that fits, it's a size 8, but the reverse is rarely true). And, apparently, I'm very fussy. I feel like I'm becoming less so, but I think it's a matter of styles changing for the better, rather than me.
- One positive effect of it all is that I'm comfortable with where my shoe wardrobe is stylistically, because I'm too picky to buy something that doesn't work, and I'm too cranky about shoes in general to be seduced by the fabulous-but-utterly-impractical (and even if I were, they probably wouldn't fit).
- At the moment, I actually like all the shoes I have, I think. Some of them are probably aging more than I want to acknowledge, but there are no genuine rabbits in rotation. Is it just me, or do most shoes become torture devices when they rabbit?
- At the same time, most of the shoes I wear to work need some repairs. Heel taps and whatnot. I spotted a repair shop the other day, so that obstacle is out of the way.
- I find it very difficult to keep shoes looking non-scuffed, even when they're relatively new. This is inconvenient, given my aversion to maintenance. And I'm certain I know how to polish them correctly - I am the child of a Marine.
- So I need to catch up on polishing this week, too.
- I have a pre-existing date to go shoe shopping with my friend LittleH on Saturday.
- I can live with what I have, but I'm looking for:
- Work shoes - low-vamp heeled loafers, T-strap pumps, etc.
- Work work shoes - For the occasions where neither heels nor steel-toed boots are appropriate. Usually I go for some sort of sturdy oxford, often in a larger little-boy size.
- Nude pumps.
- Decent walking shoes for summer vacation. I try not to look like an ugly American, even when I'm only going to Canada. (Yes, I booked my NS/PEI trip! Excited!)
- Removed: Torture device white sandals, that I didn't wear at all last summer because they'd become so uncomfortable.
- Same time, next year: winter and formal need some work, but I'm not dealing with them right now.
- I have some. I like them. The ones I don't like I've gotten rid of.
- I don't have the patience to switch bags constantly, but I have enough patience to do it occasionally.
- But I noticed that recently I was switching a lot more than usual. Eventually I figured out that, though I certainly have things that work for everyday, I don't currently have anything that's ideal enough to be a go-to. This is odd, and I'm not sure how or when it happened.
- I will work on it, but don't have an obvious solution. The main requirement is that I need to be able to fit a book inside. We're looking at shoulder strap, roughly 8"x10", with some structure. Tan would be a good color.
- Briefcase: It works. Heaven help me if I suddenly need to pair it with business formal, but it's not a priority.
- I think I recently stumbled upon the path of belting enlightenment.
- No urgent needs here, but I'll be on the lookout for more, in a general sort of way.
- Hats made for women, and sold in ordinary department stores, are almost always too small for me.
- But I recently found a foldable sun hat that fits. Yay. Because people who bring straw hats onto airplanes are way too high maintenance for me.
- Yes.
- I abandoned all my trouser socks in favor of ordinary socks and, when necessary, nylon knee-highs. So I need to get some of the latter. And some regular stockings, too - I was fine in that area during legwear week, but every pair I've touched since then has fallen to shreds.
- Yeesh. Stay tuned.

My go-to travel shoes are now all Privos, FYI, they are cute and sporty but practical enough that they stay on your feet and are comfortable to walk in.
ReplyDeleteAlso my new solution to my shoe-maintenance aversion is an Oil Sponge, it seems to cut down on the scuffs and dusty look without requiring a full buff and colored polish and whatnot.