Saturday, March 27, 2010

Little Engineering Mall Rats

Inspired by the issues in my last post, I took an exploratory shopping trip through the Escher-Maze Mall today with my friend S2.  For those just tuning in, the Escher-Maze Mall is one of the ten largest in the U.S. and is right across the street from my office.  Yes, this makes the commute interesting in December.  It derives its sobriquet from its maddeningly paradoxical architecture and a tangle of ramps near Macy's where there are always so many people walking in so many directions that you half expect some of them to be upside-down. 

I had a few things on the list from Week 2 piling and some mental advance work on Week 3, but the main goal was fact finding - figuring out what's out there these days. As befits two engineer chicks, our reconnaissance was highly methodical.  Starting at home base (the largest of the four Starbucks in-house), we proceeded counterclockwise for 2.2 miles and hit every appropriate shop open.  We were there for more than 6 hours - more than 8 with dinner (service was lousy).  I got a couple of things, which I'll save for my week 3 piles, but more importantly, came away with the assurance that there's nothing secretly hiding in there that would magically make my life simpler if only I knew about it.  This doesn't solve any problems, but is probably good for peace of mind.

I'm tired now.

5 comments:

  1. Six. Hours. At a mall.

    I'm not sure if you need your feet rubbed or your brow bathed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be more than tired. You must be exhausted.

    Sleep well -- hope you don't have Escher-Maze-Mall nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Wende - a back massage would be best.

    @scb - No nightmares, but oddly, I didn't sleep well at all (grumble).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh.

    more importantly, came away with the assurance that there's nothing secretly hiding in there that would magically make my life simpler if only I knew about it

    This is really good to know. When you're not harboring sneaky suspicions that the right thing is hiding somewhere in one of those stores you haven't gone in it makes life suddenly a lot simpler. You still don't have clothes, but at least you've got full knowledge of the options there.

    Or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anne - exactly, and that's what I was going for. So I don't regard it as a failure that I spent 8 hours buying a skirt.

    I'm still feeling it, though.

    ReplyDelete