Wende is Meming the Workout
Source.
If forced into motion, what's your first preference?
Walking. I would prefer to walk much, much more than suburban realities accommodate, though my present locale is an improvement over Massachusetts in that, here, most urban and suburban neighborhoods can be counted on to have sidewalks. My habit of living in places that do winter-with-a-capital-W doesn't really help, either.
In the realm of the less-than-routine, I'm also fond of dancing and ice skating. The former I don't do much, largely for lack of initiative in figuring out how/where to do it; the latter has actually proven rather difficult to find venues and opportunities more convenient than, say, "2:00-2:45 every other Tuesday afternoon in an obscure rec center four towns away."
When you have a gym membership, do you use it?
This is an unknown, primarily because I doubt it sufficiently that I've never invested in trying to find out. Part of it is temperament - the one thing I want even more than to be alone is to be left alone, so doing something that unpleasant in public is only going to make it worse. The other part is that I'm not naturally competitive, with others or myself, not in that way, so progress in the physical realm isn't the motivator it seems to be for some people.
If you could change your body type, would you?
No. All other things being equal, there are non-idealities that I might choose to tweak, but I'm happy with the basic plan. I've never been jealous of the waif look, despite the fact that the I-hate-my-body-and-shop-way-too-
If you wouldn't change your body type, why are you working out? (Or if you would, why aren't you?)
I was never under the impression that exercise (you don't want to know how long it just took me to spell that correctly) could change one's body type, but alright.
1) I haven't been naturally skinny since the age of 7, so yes, keeping a general handle on things requires some sort of effort.
2) Dealing with (admittedly mild) chronic illness starting at age 25 has a way of making even the most cerebral of us acknowledge that she has a body (and only one, at that).
3) My family medical history is rife with bogeymen.
Mandatory high school P/E -- discuss.
I did 9th grade in the Department of Defense-Europe system, which at the time required only one year of P.E. - and it wasn't a completely terrible experience. But then we moved to California, where, at the time, the public schools required three years of P.E. I did find it offensive that they would require more P.E. than math (or science, or foreign language, or social science, or fine arts, or anything else besides English) to graduate from high school, but then again, California had the 50th best educational system in the U.S. at that point (it may be still; I honestly don't know). Somehow or other, I managed to exempt myself from the third year's requirement by way of marching band.
This is where I usually tell the story about how, in the spring of my sophomore year, it rained every day for three months, and the concurrently scheduled P.E. classes were all confined to the gymnasium. On the days when we weren't running laps around the basketball court (bad enough even when there aren't 100 other adolescents in there with you), they set up three volleyball nets lengthwise down the court and made us play tournaments in six teams of 25 players each. That was a completely terrible experience.
Worst feature?
Off-limits question, though there is (mildly) an answer. I don't hate my body, and that's good enough for me.
Best feature?
Gotta be the hair. It's abundant enough and appropriately textured that, even on its worst days, it looks at lest decent with basically no effort on my part. It's also a color that is apparently widely desirable and basically impossible to reproduce (you see the failed attempts all the time, and yes, I'm smug about it). The problem is that I'm certainly excessively vain about it. That statement would sound incongruous to many, given that I don't curl, straighten, de-frizz, blow dry, color or style - I don't think I even own any hair spray at the moment - but trust me, it's possible.

See, I knew yours would be both fascinating and smarter than mine.
ReplyDelete