WT for the Feline-Americans
My parents came to visit me this summer and became infatuated with my cat. Well, perhaps that's overstating it, but certainly they were approval-seeking in the way one does with animals and very young relatives with whom one wishes to cuddle. Anyhow, I knew I'd lost them when, mere weeks, nay, days after meeting her, they bought her a present for my birthday.
Before you suggest it, no, I don't think it's transference of some longing for grandchildren. On the contrary, I think they've embraced the fact that both of their children are entirely too stubborn to get married as reassurance that they're not old enough to be grandparents. As My (little) Sister the Blond Artist is nearly 26, this is obviously not true; additionally, by the unfortunate sociological standards of Rustingham, New York, where they live, they're plenty old enough to be great-grandparents of a fourth-grader. (They're under 55. It's just that kind of town.)
- She's very small, even for Siamese, who run lean. I'm not sure of her exact weight, but it's under seven pounds. I thought I might have to go back to the pet store for a kitten collar, but the one I bought adjusts down just small enough.
- She is also, by vehemently held personal conviction, a nudist.
Fortunately, we've had better luck since then, so I think that in a month we'll be all set to drive across Ohio.


Oh, look at that face!
ReplyDeleteHave you tried harnesses? They're hard to find but much more difficult for the cat to get out of. Small, Angry is only about 7 lbs, and her harness adjusts smaller than that. She did somehow manage to get hers turned upside down without taking it off, but it took her a couple days. We only use it in the car, though.
We do the same thing when we travel with our cat (always by car) -- we have a harness. Not her favorite accessory, but livable. She does normally wear a collar, though. Three days of outraged annoyance, and she was over it.
ReplyDeleteHowever, she did barf up a mouse on my bedroom floor the other day, so maybe there are some unresolved issues.
I do have a harness, inherited from my childhood cat (who, oddly, was quite adept at getting out of it), but her reaction to that was orders of magnitude worse. I'll start conditioning on that next.
ReplyDelete