The Signature Question, or, How Do I Dress?
I never addressed the status symbol/signature question of a few weeks back, though I did think about it and read everyone else's responses with rapt interest. But since Alana just asked me about it, and since I'm on a writing roll today, here are my thoughts.
Wende clarified the question as being, "what quality of yours do you want/expect people to value?" That's too easy to answer - I got used to being "the smart one" very early on, and for better or for worse, that's going to stick with me for a long time. That makes it sound like it was a label I resented, but nothing could be more untrue - in childhood and adolescence, I relished it to the point of near-sociopathy. (The dumber your peers look, the smarter you look, so what can you do to make your peers look dumber?) I could elaborate on this, but don't think I want to commit the details to publication.
Here's the thing: Do you know a Smart person? (Smart = shorthand for book/IQ smart. Because when Smart people say smart, they always mean Smart. Sometimes they pretend to believe smart can mean other things, so as not to appear the antisocial intellectual snobs they actually are, but don't be fooled, they don't really mean it. Smart people are also prone to making confessions in the third person.)
Anyhow, do you know a Smart person? If so, do the world a favor and never let on. The one thing that Smart people want more than anything else in the universe is for other people to figure out that they're Smart. In the office, at home, in social life. It's a disease. So, if you care about your favorite brainiac's eternal soul, don't let them know your suspicions about the IQ issue. Or, as Dilbert would say, don't feed the egos.
(Does it sound like this is advice I hope my friends and family take? If so, maybe I can break into fiction after all. The truth is there, though.)
more attractive home now than when I was an undergrad.
I believe the black banner reads Wilder Brain Collection -
I did not attend Brain College, as it appears say.
Photo credit Jason Koski/University Photography
Now, the "me" intuition seems to already have accounted for what suits my shape and size. Also, dressing "me" fortunately results in a wardrobe that meets my needs - "me" workwear items are professional for my role and setting and communicate what I need them to; "me" leisurewear is equally appropriate for its purpose. I don't know whether to credit that to my subconscious, or just good luck. I suppose I could be described as dressing like an intellectual, whatever that means, but it's not something to which I devote intensive pre-programming energies.
One downside of all this is that, though I can do well for myself, I don't make much of a stylist for anyone else. I can dress my body, style my hair, do my makeup, satisfy my tastes and lifestyle. I'm ok with this - I've never claimed to be that visual. But the fact remains that, if I were to write my best attempt at a style guide, it would be titled something like, A Comprehensive Guide to Dressing for the 20-Something, Size 10, Red-Haired, Hourglass-Shaped, Bibliophilic, Intellectual, Eastern-Educated Technical Professional with Creative Inclinations, Given to Abstract Thought and Spilling Coffee.
I'm not seeing the market.


Oh my, but it would be such a funny book! I must have laughed out loud three times just reading that!
ReplyDeleteYou know what--I think you do dress "Smart." Your clothes are completely appropriate for your body and your colouring--they are eminently suitable for the tasks you wish to perform--that's pretty Smart!
But I'm curious, what other bits or yourself do you think you'd like others to know about? You don't have to blog your answer--just a question I'm throwing out there for you to mull while you sip your coffee!
Heh, now, that's the equivalent of asking Wende about life outside the office...
ReplyDelete(Got the coffee. Haven't spilled it yet.)
There actually does seem to be a Smart Girl aesthetic:
ReplyDelete1. Classic and body-covering. Keeping track of sexy clothing requires mental energy better spent on analyzing the semiotics of grocery displays or something. Also, if it's classic, that's less shopping to do later to keep up with trends.
2. Dark basics. That's to hide the coffee spills.
3. Garanimalized. That's to pack easily, since Smart Girls tend to be restless and/or have jobs that require travel.