Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Finally - Something I Need!

Gah, I keep writing things and somehow failing to actually post them. This one's only a couple days past due.
________________________________

I'm well set for the holiday party season (my office party isn't until January anyhow), but still I've been waiting for this week, since it applies to one very specific gap in my wardrobe I identified some time ago. Fortunately, it's not urgent, and can probably be filled during post-New Year's party-wear clearance sales.

Two of my favorite people in the entire universe are getting married this spring. To each other, if that wasn't clear. I need something to wear.

Here are the facts as I understand them: Wedding is mid-April, at the chapel of our alma mater in central New York, early afternoon ceremony, followed by winery reception, under 100 guests.

The problem: I have several things which would be perfect to wear if the wedding were in the winter, in the summer, in the evening, or in California. Or if it weren't a wedding - the one outfit I have which would be suitable in all other respects is white, and not just any white, but exactly the same shade as the bride's gown, so far as I can tell from the photos she's sent me.

April in the Fingerlakes is a problematic thing. It could be a lovely spring day. It could be a rainy spring day. It could be 85*F. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a blizzard.

(True story: The week before spring break during my freshman year started out beautifully - 75*F and not a cloud in the sky. The next day, and I promise I don't exaggerate at all, it was -20. We had ice storms for the rest of the week. I suspect a lot of people got sick.)

My initial idea was a day-to-cocktail style dress with a jacket - that's something I can imagine being useful in the future - though I may go with something totally different. This is lovely - check out the alternate view - except for one little detail which would make me utterly miserable (I bet you can guess what that is...). Unfortunately, most of the options I've found so far have the same drawback. The rest are not age appropriate - I don't want to compete with the Mother of the Bride (another of my favorite people) any more than the bride herself.

Even in the course of writing this post, I've done a bunch of Windows Shopping and spotted a lot of very nice things, none of which is quite right for the occasion. I could add even more links but it's more of the same. (For the record, Macy's sells some seriously weird stuff.)

I don't want black (daytime, and ostensibly spring; besides, a joyous color would be better).

I don't want something that absolutely requires the jacket to complete the look (since the whole point is that I might have to take it off for the entire day).

I don't want the wrap thing. Fussy for day, if you're under 65.

I don't want something that I can't in good conscience consider appropriate for a religious ceremony (even though I might be unique in my generation for even having such reservations, and even though I might be the only person in attendance besides the bride, groom, and officiant with any religious convictions worth mentioning).

Ideally, I'd like something that would make me invisible to everyone but the people I'm actually interested in seeing and talking to, but I suspect that technology is beyond my price point.

Whatever it ends up being, it may also be called upon to do duty at my 11-year high school reunion (the ten-year was postponed due to logistical issues) which will occur at roughly the same time. However, that event will be in California, so I have other suitable options.

I could make something appropriate - something with vintage styling, I think - but I'm not yet certain whether that will be a practical undertaking during the next several months, so I'm not getting up my ambitions.

So, my strategy for now is to scour all the department stores during the first week of January.

4 comments:

  1. I can't figure out what you don't like about that dress. Is it the fact that it wraps around?

    I wish you luck. It seems like a daunting task--but the perfect dress isout there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've got it. The sleeves. Actually, the last one isn't too obviously 3/4. Ending just at the elbow is "natural" as oppossed to mid-ulna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might it be simpler to have two outfits, one suitable for winter and one that's a pure summer outfit and can go to the reunion later?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alana - yes, the sleeves. It's like nails on a blackboard for me. And you're right that the last one is more moderate. I can do elbow length, though I'm not sure how I feel about it for a jacket.

    @Wende - yes, that's another possibility that could serve well. I'm already stocked with the summer-friendly options, and know exactly what I'd wear if I knew it would be warm. Perhaps I should just buy something winter, in the knowledge that since I live in winter places it will serve some good purpose before too long. (The winter white outfit serves that purpose now, but I always leave home in fear that someone at the party will be drinking red wine.)

    ReplyDelete