Thursday, December 20, 2007

Back To the House, or, The Post You Thought You'd Never See

Consistent with my usual failure to follow through, I never really posted final pictures of my living room. This is mainly because I was really dragging my feet about the finishing touches. Eventually it got to the point where I just had to give in and decorate for Christmas. I'm ready now, so...


For reference, the before shots are here. The floorplan is approximately this.


Facing the window, the right wall. The couch cover project
is still not done. It will be brown and red.


Left wall. The reclining bookshelf wants to be a Danish Modern
sideboard when it grows up.



And center. Remember the comfy gold chairs?


The star of the show, Mr. Greek-Nationalist Canadian Table.


The Big Shelf, supporting my primary obsession.
Where did I put my books before I owned this monster?




A relatively recent acquisition, next to my etiquette book collection.
He weighs considerably more than a real cat.



Carmella, the overexposed Guatemalan angel.



I looked for years before I found a creche that I liked that didn't cost
hundreds of dollars. Found this last year. They sort of have faces.



Ethiopian Triptych. Not purchased in Ethiopia, in case
there was any confusion. Never been there.


Rather than the end-of-AT housewarming, I had resolved to do some heavy-duty cocooning, and then entertain a bit later on in the year. Honestly, I haven't yet followed through on my grand-scale cocooning event. I'll try again for New Year's Day. I did manage to follow through on the party, though, which just took place. It was a small gathering of young ladies from church for a Christmas party. We had lots of good food and nice Christmas music and played games. I may have to write more about it in future, as it's got me thinking hard about hospitality and what it means - the latest part of an ongoing internal conversation.

And in case I don't get a later chance to say it, Merry Christmas (or other preferred festivity) to all you lovely, smart, fun ladies!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh - I love the triptych and the creche. And Mr Greek Nationalist looks great with those candles - that was a real find. Merry Christmas to you, too, Mella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Mella!! Your living room looks great -- the art work behind the couch is fantastic.

    I love the table -- it's just right. And the creche, and the angel, and especially the gorgeous cat.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! It looks like a real room, now. I'm very impressed. Great idea to turn the tall piece on its side: I probably never would have ever thought of that, but it seems obvious, now. I love that artwork over the couch. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, I have the same bookshelf! The Thomas O'Brien one from Target. I love it, don't you?

    ReplyDelete